According to former owner Garth Greenlee, the story of Cortez Flying Service began in 1948. Before the City of Cortez had an airport, when Vic Reynolds, a World War II bomber pilot, was encouraged by Rollin and Polly Usher to come to Cortez to start a flying service. The original airport location was located two miles south of Cortez, west of the current airport. In 1955, Vic Reynolds, Herb Rose and Milt Bettis formed Cortez Flying Service.
They built the current office building, maintenance building, large hangar and some T-hangars. When the runway was completed they moved into these buildings which Cortez Flying Service still operates out of. After 30 years these buildings reverted to the City.
In 1971, following the death of Herb Rose, Bill Moore and Garth Greenlee purchased Cortez Flying Service. In 1972, current President and co-owner, Robert (Bobby) Yarbrough was hired on as a mechanic after serving in the army in Vietnam. Bobby then obtained his A & P certificate shortly thereafter. In 1977, current Vice President and co-owner, David Serfoss, joined the team as a line service technician. In 1985 David obtained his A & P certificate.
Garth and Bill had obtained Thomas Air Service in Farmington New Mexico. Bill ran Cortez Flying Service while Garth ran Thomas Air Service until the partnership dissolved.
In 1999, current pilot, Larry Riggott was hired on as our charter pilot.
In 2012, owner Bill Moore passed away suddenly. It was at this time that Bobby and David became the new owners of CFS. Aaron also joined the team as the bookkeeper this year. Mike Kelso joined the team in 2015 when Great Lakes Airlines left Cortez.
Cortez Flying Service has had many wonderful employees throughout the years that have served us well and we would like thank them all.